I love watching films. My favourite seat (that’s not the armchair by the Rayburn) is a cinema seat as the opening credits roll.
And I’m not interested in reviews from anyone but myself. So, here is the challenge, to watch 60 new-to-me films and review them here for myself.
I like to watch favourite films over and over, so they won’t count – it has to be a movie I’ve not seen before this year, no matter when it was made.
Just a personal record then. Dear Reader, you may suggest films I could watch. I might watch them even!
I’ll think of a reviewing system.
- Begin Again 🍅🍅🍅 3/5 nice healthy tomatoes Keira Knightly singing but a gorilla playing opposite.
- Moonrise Kingdom 🍅🍅🍅🍅 4/5 Wes Anderson at his best
- Hologram for the King 🍅 1/5 what a terrible film – Tom Hanks didn’t elevate it to more than one NHT (nice healthy tomato)
- Hail Ceaser 🍅 I’d expect better form the Cohen’s!!! Even with George Clooney in a skirt!
- Love and Friendship 🍅🍅🍅🍅 4/5 Kate Beckinsale in a quirky and witty Austen novella adapted for cinema with no expense spared for wit, sarcasm and the outrageous character of Lady Susan. Great stuff!
- Miss You Already – no tomatoes. That’s two hours of my life I won’t get back. Toni Collette and Drew Barimore in a mawkish egotistical pile of crap.
- Jason Bourne. 🍅🍅🍅 and a half. Much anticipated this latest in the Bourne series. Everything was there, car chases, explosions, fights, zap and pow. Just lacking a really good story to keep me interested. Not a waste of time though. Matt Damon. Say no more!
- Me Before You 🍅🍅🍅 pretty film with lots of inevitable themes, nice part played by my old pal Neville Longbottom.
- Miss Peregrins Home For Perculiar Children 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅 oh Tim Burton! What I would give for five minutes inside your head! I’m not sure I’d survive!
- The Fundamentals of Caring 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅 Paul Rudd in a hilarious disabled lad comedy. Just a bunch of misfits taking to the road. I loved it – I’ll watch that again!
- Labor Day 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅 another five out of five – I’m Kate Winslet biggest fan. This was electric. She plays every character with such conviction – another one I’ll watch again and soon
- LaLa Land 🍅🍅 After all the hype about this one I was expecting to love it. But really? No chemistry between the two leads so I didn’t care whether they made it or not. But I liked the sets and the colour. Not a musical!
- Big Fish 🍅🍅🍅🍅 I don’t know why this loses a tomato? 🍅 There – have the full set. Ewan McGregor – so I’m happy
- Rogue One 🍅🍅🍅🍅 This is not part of the Star Wars Nine – but a story explaining why the plans for the Death Star came to be lodged in R2-D2 – do you know – I couldn’t tell you the story, but hell – its Star Wars OK! I should include TV in this list – I watch so many series – so in the interests of Numbers – I’m going to add in …..
- Sherlock season 4 🍅🍅 Bloody Hell – what is going on! Three crazy episodes – long anticipated and totally incomprehensible – I had to conclude at the end of them that the writers are more at home with Dr. Who, I didn’t sleep for a week after the last one. I’d like a return to the proper stories
- Elementary seasons 1-4 🍅🍅🍅🍅 These – on the other hand – are totally addictive. A fair treatment of my favourite fictional detective. (High Functioning Sociopath)
- The Killing 🍅🍅🍅🍅 This keeps its fourth tomato for the character Holder. It is brutal and violent – homicide cops in Seattle – where it really does always rain. 95% of the action takes place in a downpour – its addictive – well, I can’t stop watching it!
- The Gilmore Girls 🍅 – oh I’m sorry – but the four long episodes of the seasonal lives of my favourite small town American community was cringemakingly bad
- The Good Wife seasons 1-6 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅 proper ‘shouting at the telly’ lawyers and politicians – oooh! I’m enjoying this a lot! And season 7 too – Jason!!!!
- New Blood 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅 Some of the best telly I’ve enjoyed in a long time – London based detective stories with two of the most likeable lads – can’t wait for the next stories